Saturday, June 6, 2009

Leaving the Nest

Several years ago, as older daughter made her move to Raleigh, North Carolina, DH and I began preparing our younger daughter for leaving the nest. We wanted her prepared to live on her own once we made the move to Tennessee.

Recently, a robin built a nest on the elbow joint between the gutter and downspout near my bedroom window. Momma robin laid her eggs and then spent the next two weeks sitting there incubating them. Three babies hatched from those eggs.

It's been two weeks now since they hatched. DH and I have followed their progress and been fascinated by mom. After a week, she no longer sat on the nest. I'm sure those little beaks are sharp! Today, two of the fledglings left the nest. My thought after only seeing sporadic trips by momma and daddy robin today to feed the fledgling is that they are preparing it to leave the nest too. I can't wait to get my backyard back and not worry about dive-bombing parental robins!

No comments:

Post a Comment