Sunday, September 18, 2011

Country Roads, Take Me Home!

DH and I are back - a day early - from our trip that took us up to Williamsville, New York then down to Winchester, Virginia. We had such a good time visiting a cousin of DH (first cousin once removed) that we had to keep reminding ourselves about "lake effect snows" up there. They don't measure their snowfall in inches but in feet. Not being a winter sport lover, that doesn't attract us. Williamsville is a very walkable and sociable town. It seems like there is always something going on there. DH's cousin walked our fannies off. I mean, really, we did a lot of walking. I'm not sure which was my favorite walk, but the Losson Park walk we took was probably my favorite. We walked at least three miles and headed back early when we heard thunder and then saw lightning. Somehow standing under the trees didn't seem smart. We encountered a wild turkey, a snake and three deer on the nature walk. I tried to get photos of the turkey but he's just too far away. With the snake, I just was not fast enough.

Winchester, Virginia was supposed to be a trip to the archives and then a trip down to Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown, Virginia to see the home of my great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather's grandson, Major Isaac Hite. Built in 1796-97, it was used as a field hospital during the battle of Cedar Creek in 1864. And it's where General Jubal Early died.  The picture on the right was taken by me as DH obligingly stopped so I could get a good picture of the place. Lunch that day was in Strasburg, Virginia another charming little town. We spent 3 days and 4 nights in Winchester. We enjoyed every minute of it.


Copyright 2011, ACK, for Generational

No comments:

Post a Comment