Monday, June 22, 2009

A Favorite Dinner Recipe

While the DH is recovering from his right-sided wisdom tooth extractions, I have been struggling to find soft foods to feed him. Father's day was fairly easy since he was able to eat some spaghetti with marinara sauce. Other things on his menu have been: mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and elbow macaroni with butter & salt. I know younger daughter is salivating at that last one.

So on day three of his recovery, I decided to make sloppy joes. The buns are soft, and the ground beef is easily chewed on the other side of his mouth.

My mom had a great recipe for sloppy joes. None of that manwich stuff in a can for her family. Which was odd, because we teased her about her propensity for opening cans and feeding us!

Mom's recipe included ground chuck, ketchup, mustard and diced onion. It's a straightforward recipe. you brown the meat and onion, add ketchup, flavor with some mustard and voila! Unfortunately, today the ketchup bottle top decided to juggle around and flipped over on me, the floor and my nice clean and freshly ironed top and capris.

Man, I hate when that happens.

The sloppy joes were awesome though!

5 comments:

  1. Second only to her thanksgiving dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I think her chicken and dumplings was probably second, maybe even tied for first. Just more complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, butter noodles.
    and oh my god, sloppy joes. yum.
    how about you move home, and cook for me?

    ReplyDelete