Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Taste of Tennessee - The Dog House!

A friend of mine asked me last week if we had Coney Islands here. The answer is yes and no.  We can get true coney island hot dogs here at a place called the Dog House. It's the type of coney place that I remember from when I was young. They serve hot dogs with chili and onions and the best fries on the face of the earth.  DH and I will try to make it there once a month or so and chat with the owner about Detroit style things.  She even gets her hot dogs shipped in from Detroit. The decor is nothing fancy, as the walls are decorated with mostly old Michigan license plates. In fact the last time we were there, the owner was trying to figure out what she would have to take down in order to hang the posters she received.

The no part of the answer, is that no, there are no Coney Island style restaurants where you can get a really good Greek salad. And I miss that.  But I can still get that coney dog!

Copyright 2010, ACK, for Generational

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just saw this on a search. I'm doing some research for a publication regarding Coney Dog restaurants outside of the Detroit/Flint area. Can you tell me where the 'Dog House' is? I'm not sure which city you live in.

    Many thanks!
    -Bobby
    the_alias at mac dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for that… I'll let you know if we include this place in the book!

    ReplyDelete