Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Sometimes Things Don't Work Properly

I dragged out my sewing machine the other day. I've had this machine for well over 30 years, a Sonata made by Singer for sale at fabric stores. I bought mine at Joann's at least around 1987-88. Yeah. It still works fine from the last time I took it in for a cleaning and oiling which was a long time ago, too. But it's old and my eyes, which have been "improved" by lasik surgery in 2001, don't see the needle holes well any more. In fact, I had to thread the sewing machine needle and when I pulled up the lever to raise the sewing foot, the needle dropped down into the machine. I had to remove the bottom of the machine to retrieve it, put the bottom back on, re-insert the needle and struggle to thread the needle. It took me a few tries, but I did it. Now I remember why I don't use it much anymore. It really wasn't a bad machine for it's time, but I think it's time for a new one. 

One of the things I looked for were a variety of stitches - it does 10. The other thing was the free arm, mostly for doing sleeves and pant legs. 

Now machines are computerized, have automatic threaders (YES!) and speed control (other than using your foot.) That's the upside. The downside? Can't find a machine anywhere due to COVID-19! 



Copyright 2008-2020 ACK, for Generational

No comments:

Post a Comment