Friday, August 22, 2008

What Do I Do With My Pig Dirt!

When our house was finished, our builder brought in truckloads of dirt from a pig farm. I was told by everyone I mentioned this to that we could grown anything in the pig dirt.

The grass started off great, but rapidly turned brown and died. However, we do have a nice green carpet of crabgrass.

As I look out my north facing window, there are six trees on the section of lawn between our driveway and our eastern lot line. Three of them are dogwoods; one is an oak, and one is a tulip poplar. And then there is the unknown tree, which I suspect might be a beech tree. The dogwoods are small and all thee of them are beneath the canopies of the larger trees. When I say larger, I mean 50 to 60 feet tall. On the strip of lawn? between the driveway and the west lot line, there are three more trees in the front. I think two are oaks that are right next to each other and the third is a maple. So we are talking 9 trees in front. The older lawn that was not disturbed by building is actually mostly grass. It's the green stuff closer to the house that is a problem.

Here in Tennessee, when you build a house, you get some landscaping and a seeded lawn. That works really well if your house is completed by September. Ours was finished in May, and seeded then, and that is only a little less worse than seeding in June, July and August.

Last night, we discovered this at a class on maintaining a fescue lawn in Tennessee. So now, DH and I are faced with the daunting task of killing off an area of crabgrass the size of our front lawn when we lived in Michigan.

Oh, did I mention we got rid of most of our lawn tools when we moved?

No comments:

Post a Comment