Monday, January 19, 2009

Holidays I Can Do Without

Number One on that list is Martin Luther King Day. I'm not saying he wasn't a great man, but celebrate what he stood for not him.

Number Two is President's day. It is an invention to get Federal Workers a long weekend. It wasn't bad when I was still working because it often extended the weekend around MY birthday!

Number Three is sure to get me in trouble - Memorial Day. This holiday was originally instituted to remember our Civil War dead. Now it is also used to commemorate our war dead from all wars - awfully similar to Veteran's day, wouldn't you say?

Number Four is Labor day. It basically honors Union members. I've never heard of non union members marching in a parade on Labor day. They mostly are at home drinking beer & eating burgers.

Number Five is Columbus day. Columbus DID NOT discover America. He missed us completely. And he was not even searching for America. Oh wait, the banks and post office get this day off don't they.

I like Veterans' Day. In my humble opinion we do not do enough for our veterans. And it seems that latter veterans are just short of being ignored. Can't we rename it Armed Services Day and celebrate the living and dead who fought for our freedom?

I think those are all the ones that really bug me.

No comments:

Post a Comment