Monday, December 5, 2011

My Memories - Card Making Tutorial

Are you still working on your Christmas cards? I have a great tutorial inspired by My Memories Suite. This is particularly sweet if you have upgraded to version 3.

Of course I had to check out this tutorial for myself. It's by Barb Eastwick, and is very easy.

First, get yourself version 3 of  My Memories. If you don't have it, you can get $10 off the cost of the full program using my code STMMMS18876 when ordering.  If you do have it, upgrade it. Worth every penny. (This part is my idea, not Barb's!)

Second, once you download and install the program, it will prompt you for a new album. Choose your size, which can be either a landscape or portrait album and you want the 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 inch size (5-1/2 x 4-1/4 if you choose landscape.)

Third, choose a background paper. Keep in mind when you choose a background paper and any embellishment, you have to comply with the terms of use (TOU.) Mostly, these terms mean you can use for your personal use - like making cards to send to family and friends - but NOT selling them.  I chose a paper from Barbara Marcusi that I got on the December Blog Train. If you choose a paper and decide it isn't write you can always delete it or use the Change Background tool on the menu (Arrange > Change Background.)

Fourth, choose elements, word art, what ever you'd like on the front of your card. I chose to make a frame using the Shapes - Frames option. Then I colored it using a gradient. I also did a square shape that you probably won't pick up on, to use just under the frame. I used the color picker, picking out the burgundy in the foreground paper and then fading it a bit. I wanted the design to show through. Finally I added my Word Art, "Joy to the World" from "Holiday Snows." The ribbon came from 3 Li'l Monsters, and the snowflake was also from Barb Mancusi.

When I was done, the first thing I did was save it! Then I clicked on the SHARE Album button on the control panel, export pages, and exported it as a jpeg file.


When I go to the folder where I have saved this image, I will select print:


I'll select the option to print a page of 3.5 x 5 photos.


So your screen should look like this:


Select your quality, the type of paper, and print.  Once you have printed them, cut them out. They are sized to center on a 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 card. You might want to position some nice holiday paper behind them to camouflage the white space. Add some bling or other 3-D element and you have four really nice cards.

Barb has put together a great PDF for this and you can download it here.

Copyright 2011, ACK, for Generational

No comments:

Post a Comment